Monday, June 10, 2013

Garden Update - June 10

I've been meaning to do an update for well over a month now.  This is probably the wettest and coolest Spring/Summer since we've lived here.  The over abundance has been GREAT for the garden.  I literally haven't watered once!!

I was really bad a starting seeds this Winter so I don't have as many tomato plants this year.  You can only do so much, so I bought my tomato plants at the Master Gardener's Sale and from a local lady here in town.  Ever since children I'm not the best at pruning these guys back.
Look at those beauties!!!
I took this picture to show how high the plants were at the beginning of June.  My tomatoes on the South end always do better and I have no idea why!
The cooler weather and lots of rain has been AMAZING for the lettuce.  I have so much lettuce I have told who ever wants any should just come on over and pick it.  We've had big delicious salads every night for the last month or so!  I've been eating a lot of salads for lunch too.
We LOVE arugula in this house.  It is so easy to grow, and it just keeps on coming!
I have ten broccoli and cauliflower plants and they're doing wonderfully as well.
My cucs got bit on the last small frost, but I got them back in the next day and they're growing quickly.
I've let all the dill that has come back throughout the garden continue growing.  The more dill the better.  I never have enough fresh dill come pickling time.  One of my plants got him with about 15 nasty horn worms overnight.  Abram was happy to help me pick them and squish them (so wish I had a picture of that - he is ALL BOY).
That big beautiful bloom is exactly what we need for yummy fresh dill pickles!
I got my sugar snap peas in late, but those blooms are the start of some sweet little treats!
Adi and the sugar snappers.
My little forest of onions.
Adison LOVES flowers and has really taken the lead on all the flowers this year and gladly waters them when we're outside without any prompting from me.  Man she is getting old.  It makes my heart so happy that she likes gardening.  We did a lot of wave petunias this year.  They're close to falling over and starting to droop/vine.
The massive two beds behind the shop are always hard for me to decide on.  We have 40 begonias planted (not mulched yet).

Every year is different based on the weather.  This year has been great so far!

Print this post

2 comments:

Leigha said...

Impressive!

Anonymous said...

It's incredible to see how big they've grown! What a beautiful garden!