Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 in review...

This year has stretched me in many different ways.  The memories and experiences that I will pull from this past year has forever changed me and the way I view my own little world.  To say that I have a lot to be thankful for would be a huge understatement.  There are three valuable things that I have learned in 2012 - flexibility, family, and faith. 

I have always been the kind of mom that thrives on a schedule and honestly get stressed to the max when someone skips a nap or goes to bed 45 minutes past their bed time.  I am doing better with these control freak tendencies now that I am a mom of two, but until fairly recently I truly haven't been okay with being more flexible in regards to the kids.  There have been multiple situations that have pushed me into the world of being "flexible."  Abram had been so sick this past year.  This little guys was quite literally sick at least once a month; between ear infections, the flu, or other bizzaro diseases he had.  Brandon also spent a good portion of the year in Japan.  Being on my own with two kids  forced me to adapt my typical way of doing things.  And of course, Japan.  Our families stay in Japan for two and a half months taught me MANY things about being flexible, which I will talk more about. 

I use the word family in a bit of a broad sense.  We have our family of four, our immediate family, our good friends here (who are like family), and our church family.  A sense of family should makes us feel loved and valued.  Brandon's travels this past year made me appreciate him even more.  I guess when they say distance makes the heart grow fonder they are right.  Much of the time we did have together as a family of four meant a lot.  We have small children which naturally makes life a bit more difficult and exhausting, but time together even playing with blocks on the floor, or giving the kids a bath together felt good.  My love language is definitely quality time, so the moments together, both big and small were energizing.

The willingness to come half way across the world to help us at the drop of a hat gave me another example of just how much our family loves us.  I really can't even put into words how much it meant to me to have my mom, dad, and Marilyn come to my rescue during a time which was initially pretty scary.  Our good friends and church family are a big part of our life here in Indiana.  I know God has placed a few special families in our lives, and without the blessing of these folks I would be lost.

Faith!  I hear older people talk about the fact that our generation has never really lived through difficult times and it is true.  At the age of 30, there hasn't really been any experiences that have really boldly tested my faith.  Our time in Japan did just that. Experiencing the faithfulness of God's power and provision has been amazing.  It's kind of funny, I'm reading a book about faith right now, and it amazes me how many people in this world just don't have the ability to believe.  I've believed for some time now, but to be in a situation where I truly had nothing or no one to rely on but my Lord and Savoir was perfection.  It is His plan for us to rely solely on Him, and when we do life is great no matter what the circumstance.

I'm praying that 2013 is going to be another year with even further growth.  God is good, and I have faith that this next year He will use me to make a difference for His glory.  Happy New Year!

Print this post

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

Great post friend!! You have been such a blessing to me this year! Can't wait to see what the next year brings your sweet little family :)